• Actinic keratosis is a scaly macule on sun-damaged skin and often easier to feel than to see.
• Topical 5-FU therapy is used for patients with multiple AKs rather than treating each lesion with cryotherapy.
• Bowen's disease (squamous cell carcinoma in situ) and superficial basal cell carcinoma look more like patches of dermatitis than tumors.
• The typical nodular basal cell carcinoma presents as a pearly-colored papule with overlying telangiectasias and a central depression or ulcer.
• Left untreated, local destruction from BCC can be extensive.
• Most SCCs arise from AKs, radiation dermatitis, leukoplakia or erythroplakia, and burn scars or chronic ulcers.
• Organ transplant recipients have a 5% to 10% greater risk of developing BCC and a 40 to 250 times greater risk of developing SCC.
• Risk factors for melanoma include fair skin, red or blond hair, no tan/easily burns, freckles, excessive childhood sun exposure, blistering childhood sunburns (>3), moles (nevi) or dysplastic nevi, family or personal history of melanoma, immunosuppression, and older age.
• One third of melanomas arise in a preexisting nevus.
• Depth of tumor invasion is the most important prognostic indicator for melanoma; most patients with thin tumors (<1 mm) have over 90% 10-year survival.
Was this article helpful?
Discover How to Heal Yourself Naturally! Safe, All-Natural Alternatives to Taking High-Cost, Side-Effect-Laden Prescription Drugs! If you are tired of paying the high cost of prescription drugs if you are tired of worrying about prescription drug side affects or if you just dont want to risk becoming dependent on prescription drugs then have I got great news for you!