• Specific opportunistic infections are associated with HIV, and bacterial community-acquired pneumonias are also common.
• More than half of HIV-infected patients with CD4+ counts less than 200 cells/^L experience an AIDS-related opportunistic infection within the next 2 years.
• Tuberculosis is common in HIV patients. TB worsens the clinical course of HIV infection, and HIV infection complicates TB management.
• High-resolution CT scan is the best imaging study for diagnosing HIV-related pulmonary infections.
• Inactivated influenza and pneumococcal vaccines are recommended for HIV-infected patients who are still able to mount a significant immune response.
HIV/AIDS by definition compromises our host defense capacity for fighting otherwise-benign infections. Some of the most common opportunistic infections in patients with HIV/AIDS affect the lungs as their target organ.
Was this article helpful?
Be a star on the field in no time! Get Fit For The Soccer Field In 10 Easy Steps! With soccer season looming just around the corner it’s never too early to start getting ready. Soccer is an intense game, and it’s going to take a lot of work on your part to make sure that you’re ready to stay ahead of your competition out on that field.