Spontaneous Abortion

First-trimester miscarriage is a common event. All women with clinically recognized pregnancies have approximately a 15% chance of spontaneous pregnancy loss in the first 3 months of pregnancy (Evans and Beischer, 1970). The risk is lower for younger women and higher for older mothers. Because women can present with symptoms of spontaneous miscarriage even before they are aware of pregnancy, all family physicians should be well versed in its assessment and management.

There are many causes of spontaneous pregnancy loss in the first trimester; sporadic chromosomal aneuploidy accounts for about 60%. The remaining 40% have various etiologies, including chronic maternal illness (e.g., diabetes, connective tissue disorder), uterine structural malformations, certain infections, inadequate progesterone production, and possibly other, less-well-understood causes such as immunologic "rejection" and environmental factors.

Supplements For Diabetics

Supplements For Diabetics

All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment