Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Squamous cell carcinoma is the most common malignancy of the sinonasal tract. These tumors are more common in men than in women with a peak incidence between 60 to 70 years of age. There is an association between sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma and nickel exposure. Workers at a nickel refinery in Norway developed squamous cell carcinoma at 250 times the expected rate, with a latent period varying from 18 to 36 years.14 Although tobacco and alcohol are major risk factors for squamous cell carcinoma of the

Figure 11-5. Site distribution of sinonasal squamous cell carcinoma. Data from Spiro et al.70

upper aerodigestive tract, they do not appear to be associated with sinonasal carcinogenesis.

The most frequent site of origin for squamous cell carcinoma is the maxillary sinus followed by the nasal cavity, ethmoid sinus, and sphenoid sinus (Figure 11-5). Within the nasal cavity, squamous cell carcinoma most commonly arises from the turbinates, followed by the nasal septum, floor, and vestibule.15 Approximately 80 percent of these tumors are keratinizing carcinomas, with the remaining 20 percent the non-keratinizing subtype.16 These lesions have a slight tendency to be of moderate histologic differentiation. Although less-differentiated lesions may exhibit a more rapid course of growth, the degree of differentiation does not carry as much prognostic significance as the extent of the disease.15

Was this article helpful?

0 0
How To Prevent Skin Cancer

How To Prevent Skin Cancer

Complete Guide to Preventing Skin Cancer. We all know enough to fear the name, just as we do the words tumor and malignant. But apart from that, most of us know very little at all about cancer, especially skin cancer in itself. If I were to ask you to tell me about skin cancer right now, what would you say? Apart from the fact that its a cancer on the skin, that is.

Get My Free Ebook


Post a comment