Abdomen (Chapter 17, The Abdomen)
1. Inspect contour of abdomen.
2. Inspect skin of abdomen.
3. Inspect for hernias.
4. Auscultate abdomen for bowel sounds, one quadrant.
5. Auscultate abdomen for bruits, both sides.
6. Palpate abdomen lightly, all quadrants.
7. Palpate abdomen deeply, all quadrants.
8. Percuss abdomen, all quadrants.
9. Percuss liver.
10. Percuss spleen.
11. Test superficial abdominal reflex (see Chapter 21, The Nervous System).
12. Check for rebound tenderness.
13. Check for hepatic tenderness.
14. Evaluate hepatojugular reflux (see Chapter 14, The Heart).
15. Palpate liver.
16. Palpate spleen.
17. Palpate aorta.
18. Check for shifting dullness if ascites is suspected.
Pulses (Chapter 15, The Peripheral Vascular System)
1. Palpate radial pulse, both sides.
2. Palpate brachial pulse, both sides.
3. Palpate femoral pulse, both sides.
4. Palpate popliteal pulse, both sides.
5. Palpate dorsalis pedis pulse, both sides.
6. Palpate posterior tibial pulse, both sides.
7. Time radial and femoral pulses, right side.
8. Perform heel-to-knee test (part of neurologic examination;see Chapter 21, The Nervous System).
Male Genitalia (Chapter 18, Male Genitalia and Hernias)
1. Inspect skin and hair distribution.
2. Instruct patient to bear down, and observe inguinal area.
3. Inspect penis.
4. Inspect scrotum.
5. Palpate for inguinal nodes, both sides.
6. Elevate scrotum and inspect perineum.
Was this article helpful?
Have you recently experienced hearing loss? Most probably you need hearing aids, but don't know much about them. To learn everything you need to know about hearing aids, read the eBook, Hearing Aids Inside Out. The book comprises 113 pages of excellent content utterly free of technical jargon, written in simple language, and in a flowing style that can easily be read and understood by all.