1. Katz, L.S., Bloor, L.E., Cojucar, G., & Draper, T. (2007). Women who served in Iraq seeking mental health services: Relationships between military sexual trauma, symptoms, and readjustment. Psychological Services, 4(4), 239-249.
2. Department of Defense (2008). Active duty military personnel by rank/grade. Retrieved November 3, 2010 from http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/ MILITARY/rg0809f/pdf
3. Department of Defense (2009). Military casualty information. Retrieved November 3, 2010 from http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/CASUALTY/castop.htm
4. Leland, A., & Oboroceanu, M.J. (2010). American war and military operations casualties: Lists and statistics. Congressional Research Service, 7-5700, www.crs.gov, RL 32492
5. Department of Veterans Affairs National Center for PTSD (2007). Retrieved October 27, 2010 from http://www.ptsd.va.gov/public/pages/military-sexual -trauma-general.asp
7. Kessler, R.C., Sonnega, A., Bromet, E., Hughes, M., & Nelson, C.B. (1995). Posttraumatic stress disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry, 52(12), 1048-1060.
8. Wolfe, J., Sharkansky, E., Read, J., Dawson, R., Martin, J., & Quimette, P. (1998). Sexual harassment and assault as predictors of PTSD symptomatology among US female Persian Gulf War military personnel. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 13, 40-57.
9. Fontana, A., Litz, B., & Rosenheck, R. (2000). Impact of combat and sexual harassment on the severity of posttraumatic stress disorder among men and women peacekeepers in Somalia, Journal of Nervous and Mental Disorders, 188, 163-169.
10. Kang, H., Dalager, N., Mahan, C., & Ishii, E. (2005). The role of sexual assault on the risk of PTSD among Gulf War veterans. Annals of Epidemiology, 15(3), 191-195.
11. Department of Defense Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (2010). Fiscal Year 2009 Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military. Retrieved October 12, 2010 from http://www.sapr.mil/media/pdf/reports/fy09_annual_report.pdf
12. Lipari, R.N., Cook, P.J., Rock, L.M., & Matos, K. (2008). 2006 Gender relations survey of active duty members. Defense Manpower Data Center Report No. 2007022. Arlington, VA.
13. Street, A.E., Vogt, D., & Dutra, L. (2009). A new generation of women veterans: Stressors faced by women deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan. Clinical Psychology Review, 29, 685-694.
14. Department of Defense Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (2009). Fiscal Year 2008 Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military. Retrieved on October 8, 2010 from: http://www.sapr.mil/media/pdf/reports/dod_fy08_annual_report _combined.pdf
15. Rennison, C.M. (2002). Rape and sexual assault: Reporting to police and medical attention, 1992-2000. NCJ 194530. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics.
16. Mullins, C. (2005). Understanding sexual assault in the United States Military Culture. In Connections: A Bi-annual Publication of the Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs. Fall/Winter 2005.
17. Gaudiano, N. (2005). Air Force issues long-awaited report on sexual assault issues. In Connections: A Bi-annual Publication of the Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs. Fall/Winter 2005.
18. Kilpatrick, D.G. (1983). Rape victims: Detection, assessment and treatment. Clinical Psychology, 36(4), 92-95.
19. Sacks, S. (2005). Sexual assault and the military: A community sexual assault program's perspective. In Connections: A Bi-annual Publication of the Washington Coalition of Sexual Assault Programs. Fall/Winter 2005.
20. Healing Pathways Manuscript_12.5.10.doc.Government Accountability Office. Military Personnel: DOD's and the Coast Guard's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Programs Face Implementation and Oversight Challenges, GA0-08-924. Washington, D.C.: August 29, 2008.
21. Valente, S., & Wight, C. (2007). Military sexual trauma: Violence and sexual abuse. Military Medicine, 172(3), 259-265.
22. Suarez, E., & Gadalla, T.M. (2010 Nov). Stop blaming the victim: A Metaanalysis on rape myths. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 25(11), 2010-2035. Epub 2010 Jan 11.
23. Morris, M. (1996) By force of arms: Rape, war, and military culture. Duke Law Journal, 45(4), 651-692.
24. Burke, C. (2004). Camp All-American, Hanoi Jane, and the high-and-tight: Gender, folklore, and changing military culture. Boston: Beacon Press.
25. Van Ness, N. (2008). Perceived as "dykes, whores, bitches": 1 in 3 military women experience sexual abuse. Retrieved November 3, 2010 from http://www.thewip.net/ contributors/2008/05/perceived_as_dykes_whores_bitc.html
26. Benedict, H. (2007). The private war on women soldiers. Retrieved on October 8, 2010 from http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/03/07/women_in_military
27. Suris, A., & Lind, L. (2008). Military sexual trauma: A review of prevalence and associated health consequences in veterans. Trauma, Violence & Abuse, 9(4), 250-269.
28. Jordan, E. (2010). How women will end the war in Afghanistan. Retrieved November 3, 2010 from http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity-lifestyle/articles/living/ women-soldiers-afghanistan
29. Benedict, H. (2009). The lonely soldier: The private war of women serving in Iraq. Boston, MA: Beacon Press.
30. Information on military sexual trauma: Some statistics (2009, June), Retrieved October 8, 2010 from http://helpforveterans.blogspot.com/2009/06/some-statis tics.html
31. Williamson, V., & Mulhall, E. (2009). Invisible wounds: Psychological and neurological injuries confront a new generation of veterans. New York: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America.
32. Suris, A., Lind, L., Kashner, T.M., Borman, P.D., & Petty, F. (2004). Sexual assault in women veterans: An examination of PTSD risk, health care utilization, and cost of care. Psychosomatic Medicine, 66, 749-756.
33. Street, A.E., Stafford, J., Mahan, C.M., & Hendricks, A. (2008). Sexual harassment and assault experienced by reservists during military service: Prevalence and health correlates. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development, 45(3), 409-420.
34. Skinner, K.M., Kressin, N., Frayne, S., Tripp, T.J., Hankin, C.S., Miller, D.R., & Sullivan, L.M. (2000). The prevalence of military sexual assault among female Veterans Administration outpatients. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 15(3), 291-310.
35. Zinzow, H.M., Grubaugh, A.L., Monnier, J., Suffoletta-Maierle, S., & Frueh, B.H. (2007). Trauma among female veterans: A critical review. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 8(4), 384-400.
Was this article helpful?