• It is well-known that the psychological impact of serious injury on both the professional and amateur athlete must be dealt with if the patient is to achieve optimal healing and a timely return to sports.
• There are three types of rehabilitation: psychological, physiologic (aerobic conditioning, overall strength, and flexibility), and rehabilitation specific to the injured area.
• The athlete should be given a complete and honest explanation of the injury and rehabilitation process, allowing him or her to feel like a part of the team guiding the recovery.
• An understanding of the seven stages of injury and recovery is crucial in guiding the athlete toward a return to sport.
• The establishment of realistic, yet demanding goals helps the athlete to focus on each stage.
• The appropriate application of psychological precepts is critical to the successful treatment of the injured athlete. In fact, ignoring this facet of the rehabilitation process makes it less likely that the patient will make a full recovery.
ronment that may have affected the occurrence of the injury. If identified, preinjury factors may be addressed through psychological counseling during the course of treatment and rehabilitation.
Was this article helpful?
Everything you wanted to know about. How To Cure Tennis Elbow. Are you an athlete who suffers from tennis elbow? Contrary to popular opinion, most people who suffer from tennis elbow do not even play tennis. They get this condition, which is a torn tendon in the elbow, from the strain of using the same motions with the arm, repeatedly. If you have tennis elbow, you understand how the pain can disrupt your day.