1. Colville MR: Surgical treatment of the unstable ankle. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 1998;6:368-377.
2. Garrick JG: The frequency of injury, mechanism of injury, and epidemiology of ankle sprains. Am J Sports Med 1977;5:241-242.
3. Ekstrand J: Soccer injuries and their mechanisms: A prospective study. Med Sci Sports Exerc 1983;15:267-270.
4. Jackson DW Ashley RL, Powell JW: Ankle sprains in young athletes. Clin Orthop 1974;101:201-215.
5. Brand RL, Collins MD: Operative management of ligamentous injuries to the ankle. Clin Sports Med 1982;1:119-130.
6. Anderson ME: Reconstruction of lateral ligaments of the ankle using plantaris tendon. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1985;67:930-934.
8. Freeman MR: Instability of the foot after injuries to the lateral ligaments of the ankle. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1965;47:669-676.
9. Smith RW, Reischl SF: Treatment of ankle sprains in young athletes. Am J Sports Med 1986;14:465-471.
10. Balduini FC, Vegso JJ, Torg JS, et al: Management and rehabilitation of ligamentous injuries to the ankle. Sports Med 1987;4:364-380.
11. Gerber JP, Williams GN, Scoville CR, et al: Persistent disability associated with ankle sprains: A prospective examination of an athletic population. Foot Ankle Int 1998;19:653-660.
12. Stormant DM, Morrey BF, An K, et al: Stability of the loaded ankle. Am J Sports Med 1985;13:295-300.
13. Siegler S, Block J, Schneck CD: The mechanical characteristics of the collateral ligament of the human ankle joint. Foot Ankle 1988;8:234-242.
14. Brostrom L: Sprained ankles. I. Anatomic lesions in recent sprains. Acta Chir Scand 1964;128:483-495.
15. Renstrom P, Theis M: Biomechanics and function of ankle ligaments: Experimental results and clinical application. Sportverletzing Sportschaden 1993;7:29-35.
16. Hamilton WG: Sprained ankles in ballet dancers. Foot Ankle 1982; 3:99-102.
17. DiGiovanni BF, Partal G, Baumhauer JF: Acute ankle injury and chronic lateral instability in the athlete. Clin Sports Med 2004;23:1-19.
18. Stiell I, Greenberg G, McKnight R, et al: A study to develop clinical rules for the use of radiography in acute ankle injuries. Ann Emerg Med 1992;21:384-390.
19. Diamond JE: Rehabilitation of ankle sprains. Clin Sports Med 1989;8:877-891.
20. Kannus P, Renstrom P: Current concepts review: Treatment for acute tears of the lateral ligaments of the ankle. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1991;73:305-312.
21. Konradsen L, Holmer P, Sondergaard L: Early mobilizing treatment for grade III ankle ligament injuries. Foot Ankle 1992;12:69-73.
22. Eiff M, Smith A, Smith G: Early mobilization versus immobilization in the treatment of lateral ankle sprains. Am J Sports Med 1994;22:83-88.
23. Berlet GC, Anderson RB, Davis WH: Chronic lateral ankle instability. Foot Ankle Clin 1999;4:713-728.
24. Ahouvuo J, Kaartinen E, Slatis P: Diagnostic value of stress radiography in lesions of the lateral ligaments of the ankle. Acta Radiol 1988;29:711-714.
25. Karlsson J, Bergsten T, Lansinger O, et al: Surgical treatment of chronic lateral instability of the ankle joint. Am J Sports Med 1989;17:268-273.
26. Louwerens JK, Ginai AZ, Van Linge B, et al: Stress radiography of the talocrural joint and subtalar joints. Foot Ankle Int 1995;16:148-155.
27. Cox JS: Surgical and nonsurgical treatment of acute ankle sprains. Clin Orthop 1985;198:118-126.
28. Maki SE, Whitelaw RS: Influence of expectation and arousal on centre of pressure responses to transient postural perturbations. J Vestib Res 1993;3:25-39.
29. Fumich RM, Ellison AE, Guerin GJ: The measured effect of taping on combined ankle motion before and after exercise. Am J Sports Med 1981;9:165-170.
30. Rarick GL, Bigley G, Karst R: The measurable support of the ankle joint by conventional methods of taping. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1962;44:1183-1190.
31. Myburgh KH, Vaughan CL, Isaacs SK: The effects of ankle guards and taping on joint motion before, during and after a squash match. Am J Sports Med 1984;12:441-446.
32. DiGiovanni BF, Fraga CJ, Cohen BE, Shereff MJ: Associated injuries found in chronic lateral instability. Foot Ankle Int 2000;21:809-815.
33. Komenda GA, Ferkel RD: Arthroscopic findings associated with the unstable ankle. Foot Ankle Int 1999;20:708-713.
34. Taga I, Shino K, Inoue M, et al: Articular cartilage lesions in ankles with lateral ankle ligament injury: An arthroscopic study. Am J Sports Med 1993;21:120-127.
35. Gould N, Seligson D, Grassman J: Early and late repair of the lateral ligaments of the ankle. Foot Ankle Int 1980;1:84-89.
36. Evans DL: Recurrent dislocation of the ankle: A method of surgical treatment. Proc R Soc Med 1953;46:343-348.
37. Ottoson L: Lateral instability of the ankle treated by a modified Evans procedure. Acta Orthop Scand 1978;49:302-305.
38. Girard P, Anderson RB, Davis WH, et al: Clinical evaluation of the modified Brostrom-Evans procedure to restore ankle stability. Foot Ankle Int 1999;20:246-252.
39. Elmslie RC: Recurrent subluxations of the ankle joint. Ann Surg 1934;100:364-367.
40. Chrisman OD, Snook GA: Reconstruction of lateral ligament tears of the ankle: An experimental study and clinical evaluation of seven patients treated by a new modification of the Elmslie procedure. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1969;51:904-912.
Was this article helpful?
Everything you wanted to know about. How To Cure Tennis Elbow. Are you an athlete who suffers from tennis elbow? Contrary to popular opinion, most people who suffer from tennis elbow do not even play tennis. They get this condition, which is a torn tendon in the elbow, from the strain of using the same motions with the arm, repeatedly. If you have tennis elbow, you understand how the pain can disrupt your day.